API 5L PSL 1 Grade X42
API 5L PSL 1 Grade X42 steel line pipe is a higher grade than API 5L Grade B welded applied in oil and gas pipeline systems. Since API 5L has various grades up to X100, so grade X42 is a low-medium level still, therefor it requires large quantities in most of pipelines.
For API 5L PSL 1 Grade X42 type, the delivery conditions include as rolled (R), normalizing rolled, thermostatically rolled and formed, normalizing formed, normalized, and tempered or quenched and tempered.
So when we check API 5L specification of pipe grade in X42 or L290, always comes with a suffix letter, R, M, N or Q. For welded steel pipe, just see the letter “M”. In API 5L PSL 2 Grade X42, the LSAW steel pipe delivery condition is M, which means thermostatically rolled or formed.
Now let’s see the API 5L PSL 1 Grade X42 chemical composition and mechanical strength.
- a. Cu ≤ = 0.50% Ni; ≤ 0.50%; Cr ≤ 0.50%; and Mo ≤ 0.15%
- b. For each reduction of 0.01% below the specified max. concentration for carbon, an increase of 0.05% above the specified max. concentration for Mn is permissible, up to a max. of 1.65% for grades ≥ B, but ≤ = X52; up to a max. of 1.75% for grades > X52, but < X70; and up to a maximum of 2.00% for X70.
- c. Unless otherwise agreed NB + V ≤ 0.06%
- d. Nb + V + TI ≤ 0.15%
- e. Unless otherwise agreed.
- f. Unless otherwise agreed, NB + V = Ti ≤ 0.15%
- g. No deliberate addition of B is permitted and the residual B ≤ 0.001%
|Pipe Body||Pipe Body||Pipe Body||Weld seam|
|Yield Strength||Tensile Strength||Elongation||Tensile Strength|
- a. For intermediate grade, the difference between the specified minimum tensile strength and the specified minimum yield for the pipe body shall be as given for the next higher grade.
- b. For the intermediate grades, the specified minimum tensile strength for the weld seam shall be the same as determined for the body using footnote a.
- c. The specified minimum elongation, Af, expressed in percent and rounded to the nearest percent, shall be determined using the following equation:
Where C is 1 940 for calculation using Si units and 625 000 for calculation using USC units
Axc is the applicable tensile test piece cross-sectional area, expressed in square millimeters (square inches), as follows
- For circular cross-section test pieces, 130mm2 (0.20 in2) for 12.7 mm (0.500 in) and 8.9 mm (.350 in) diameter test pieces; and 65 mm2 (0.10 in2) for 6.4 mm (0.250in) diameter test pieces.
- For full-section test pieces, the lesser of a) 485 mm2 (0.75 in2) and b) the cross-sectional area of the test piece, derived using the specified outside diameter and the specified wall thickness of the pipe, rounded to the nearest 10 mm2 (0.10in2)
- For strip test pieces, the lesser of a) 485 mm2 (0.75 in2) and b) the cross-sectional area of the test piece, derived using the specified width of the test piece and the specified wall thickness of the pipe, rounded to the nearest 10 mm2 (0.10in2)
U is the specified minimum tensile strength, expressed in megapascals (pounds per square inch)null
Our supply range for API 5L X42 LSAW pipe
- Steel Grades: Grade X42 or L290 (M)
- Product Specification Level: PSL1, PSL2
- Manufacturing types: LSAW
- Pipe Sizes: 16 inch (406.4 mm) to 60 inch (1524.0 mm)
- Steel Pipe Schedule (Wall Thickness): SCH 10, SCH 20, SCH 40, SCH STD, SCH 80, SCH XS, SCH XXS, SCH 120, SCH 160
- Length range: Random length 5 to 12 meters, fixed-length 20 ft (6 meters), 40 ft (12 meters)
- Coating types: 3PE, FBE, black painting, varnished, Inside CRA clad or lined pipe
- Ends Type: Beveled and Plain
- Ends protection: Plastic or iron steel caps
- MTC types: EN 10204 3.1, EN 10240 3.2
Differences between API 5L PSL1 and PSL2
API 5L Specification product level is divided into PSL 1 and PSL 2 for line pipe standard. Line pipes of level PSL 1 and level PSL 2 have different quality requirements.
PSL2 shows higher performance than PSL1. As it has stricter inspection requirements on chemical composition and mechanical performance requirements. API 5L PSL1 production does not require impact performance.
Line pipe production should include the hydraulic pressure test, and standards are not allowed to nondestructive generation of hydraulic pressure, nondestructive inspection is not required for PSL1, while each API 5L PSL2 pipe shall go through nondestructive examination one by one.
The two-digit numbers following “X” indicates the Min. Yield Strength (in 000’s psi) of pipe produced to this grade. Winsteel can produce a full range of API 5L PSL-1 & PSL-2 line pipe in welded steel pipe (LSAW).
Other Related Steel Grade:
Want to know more? (Please email me)
My Phone: 0086-015022081646