API 5L PSL 1 Grade B is commonly used in steel pipe manufacturing. We are API 5L PSL 1 Grade B LSAW steel pipe manufacturer. Let see the API 5L PSL 1 Grade B Chemical composition and mechanics capability below:
API 5L PSL 1 Grade B
Chemical Composition (%)
- a. Cu ≤ = 0.50% Ni; ≤ 0.50%; Cr ≤ 0.50%; and Mo ≤ 0.15%
- b. For each reduction of 0.01% below the specified max. concentration for carbon, an increase of 0.05% above the specified max. concentration for Mn is permissible, up to a max. of 1.65% for grades ≥ B, but ≤ = X52; up to a max. of 1.75% for grades > X52, but < X70; and up to a maximum of 2.00% for X70.
- c. Unless otherwise agreed NB + V ≤ 0.06%
- d. Nb + V + TI ≤ 0.15%
- e. Unless otherwise agreed.
- f. Unless otherwise agreed, NB + V = Ti ≤ 0.15%
- g. No deliberate addition of B is permitted and the residual B ≤ 0.001%
|Pipe Body||Pipe Body||Pipe Body||Weld Seam|
|Yield Strength||Tensile Strength||Elongation||Tensile Strength|
|min. (MPa)||min. (MPa)||%||min. (MPa)|
- a. For intermediate grade, the difference between the specified minimum tensile strength and the specified minimum yield for the pipe body shall be as given for the next higher grade.
- b. For the intermediate grades, the specified minimum tensile strength for the weld seam shall be the same as determined for the body using footnote a.
- c. The specified minimum elongation, Af, expressed in percent and rounded to the nearest percent, shall be determined using the following equation:
Where C is 1 940 for calculation using Si units and 625 000 for calculation using USC units
Axc is the applicable tensile test piece cross-sectional area, expressed in square millimeters (square inches), as follows
- ——For circular cross-section test pieces, 130mm2 (0.20 in2) for 12.7 mm (0.500 in) and 8.9 mm (.350 in) diameter test pieces; and 65 mm2 (0.10 in2) for 6.4 mm (0.250in) diameter test pieces.
- ——For full-section test pieces, the lesser of a) 485 mm2 (0.75 in2) and b) the cross-sectional area of the test piece, derived using the specified outside diameter and the specified wall thickness of the pipe, rounded to the nearest 10 mm2 (0.10in2)
- ——For strip test pieces, the lesser of a) 485 mm2 (0.75 in2) and b) the cross-sectional area of the test piece, derived using the specified width of the test piece and the specified wall thickness of the pipe, rounded to the nearest 10 mm2 (0.10in2)
U is the specified minimum tensile strength, expressed in megapascals (pounds per square inch)
API 5L PSL 1 and PSL 2 Have Differences
In API 5L Specification, there are two product levels (PSL 1 and PSL 2) of seamless and welded steel pipe. Level PSL 1 is a standard quality for line pipe. And level PSL 2 contains extra requirements. Such as chemical, mechanical properties, and testing requirements.
We can use a pipeline in the transportation of petroleum and natural gas. In Annex H, it indicated the material used in a sour service application. For offshore service application, refers to Annex J in API 5L 45th Edition.
Ingots, blooms, billets, coils or plates used for the manufacture of pipe shall be made via basic oxygen, electric furnace or open hearth in combination with a ladle refining process. For PSL2, the steel shall be killed and melted according to a fine grain practice. The coil or plate used for PSL2 pipe shall not contain any repair welds.
In API 5L Specification. Steel Grades covered by this specification are A25, A, B ( and the following “X” Grades)
The two-digit numbers following “X” indicates the Min. Yield Strength (in 000’s psi) of pipe produced to this grade. Winsteel can produce a full range of API 5L PSL-1 & PSL-2 line pipe in welded steel pipe (LSAW).
Other Related Steel Grade:
Want to know more? (Please email me)
My Phone: 0086-015022081646